Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Nantahala River, June 23-25, 2006

Went camping with my mom, dad, and little sister at Tsali. Rained a bit on the way up but not much. When we past by the Chattooga it looked pretty dry. Got there Fri. night and set up camp and went to sleep.
The next morning we woke up ate breakfast and all. We randomly saw a guy walking past our camp with a Wren soccer shirt (the school I go to). It turned out to be Coach Anh which we knew mostly by connections of friends. He had moved up to Boone and was taking down some students of his. He lives near us now and we'll have to go paddling with him. He invited us to come along on the trip, we did. Some of the people from Boone new the Pepers and the Rubacars (hopefully that's their names), friends of my sisters. We headed down the river with Steve Anh, Skyler, Kyle, Ginnet, John, and my dad. I caught as many eddies as I could and played on quite a few waves. Kyle did his first whitewater roll. Dad and I ran Lesser Wesser first while they watched. The we watched while they ran it. Kyle stern squirted flipped and swam, Ginnet swam and hit her head on some rocks (she was under water for quite a while), Skyler didn't swimming, John swam the whole rapid, and Steve ran the rapid right. I picked up Johns paddle and started paddling next to him in the shallow rocky part below Lesser Wesser. At one place he let his feet drop and his foot got trapped and his head was pushed under water, luckily I was right next to him and was able to just hold on to his PFD and keep his head above water and after a few seconds he was released with scraped up legs. I don't know what would've happened if I wasn't there. Steve grabbed his boat and pulled it to shore while I towed John to shore. That was a scary moment. Everyone else was ok.
Later that day Mom, Dad, Alli, and I checked out White Oak Falls. This is how I would run the rapid. The first drop I would run on right with a left stroke the second section I would run on right with a left stroke and some right angle to get to the right side of the final drop which is more like a big slide on right. If I couldn't get right I would just line up straight and try to put in a good boof stroke. I checked out the rest of the cascades which looked low but Big Kahuna would still be good to go.It rained quite a bit Sat. night.
On Sun. Morning we packed up to leave, ate breakfast at NOC and headed home. On our way home we passed by the Cascades and they looks a bit higher and good to go, I moaned and groaned as we passed because I was not able to boat the. When we passed over the Chattooga it Looked a lot higher.

The levels were: (show beginning of day end of day and changes in flow)
Chattooga: 1.08-1.1*Ft
1.1-1.27 Ft
1.27-2.00*-1.91 Ft
Cascades: 45-125 cfs
125-70*-55 cfs
55-125*-200-125 cfs
Nantahala: 640 cfs
645* cfs
665-742 cfs
* means I was on or at the river

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home